The mining town of Silver City first gained notoriety as being the place where outlaw Billy the Kid (William H. Bonney) enjoyed wreaking havoc and stealing the hard-earned goods of hard working Americans. Butch Cassidy and the Wild Bunch only further propagated Silver City’s image as being the most dangerous city in the “wild, wild west”, though this reputation was soon controlled in the 19th century by Grant county Sheriff Harvey Whitehill (who arrested Billy the Kid twice) and town marshall “Dangerous Dan” Tucker.
Despite Silver City’s colorful past, it has become one of the more desirable communities to reside in New Mexico. Well over 10,000 residents call this area home, with many being family members spanning across a number of generations. As of the census of 2000, 30% of households had children under the age of 18 living with them, nearly 45% were married couples living together and residents over the age of 65 made up 16.3% of the population.
Taking Care of Those Who Cannot Take Care of Themselves
The media has made it clear that elder abuse is a problem in this country – and Silver City is no exception. At the Ruhmann Law Firm we have helped a number of families protect their older and defenceless loved ones through aggressive investigation and compassionate counsel of suspected elder abuse.
The Common Signs of Elder Abuse
As every individual who suffers abuse is unique, how they display potential abuse may differ. Loved ones must always remain watchful of staff, their loved one, and trust their instincts. Some clear signs that an elderly loved ons is being abused include:
- Unexplained bruising or markings from restraints
- Sudden and unexplained weight loss
- Dehydration or malnutrition
- Injuries which result from falls
- Broken bones
- Appear to be over-sedated or over-medicated
Elderly patients are also often abused verbally or financially. Some of these signs include:
- Showing extreme apprehension around certain individuals
- Depression and anger
- Engaging in soothing actions, such as mumbling, rocking or sucking
- Blaming themselves for their wrongdoings
- Unexplained loss of personal property
- Unexplained withdrawals from bank accounts
- Brand new loans or mortgage contracts
- Revisions to wills, trusts or deeds which do not make sense
The first step to take if you suspect elder abuse is to verify their story. If everything seems logical and you believe your loved one is telling the truth, leave it at that but remain watchful. If you do not believe they are telling the truth, consider moving your loved one to another facility and contact the authorities. The final step would be to contact our experienced team of personal injury attorneys at the Ruhmann Law Firm.
The attorneys working within our law firm are sons, daughters, nieces, nephews and grandchildren of their own older loved ones who live in care homes. We make it our priority to ensure that those who are the most defenceless are defended and work just as hard for your family members as we would for ours. To arrange for your free initial consultation, we invite you to contact us today at (915) 845-4529.
Directions to our New Mexico Personal Injury Attorneys from Silver City
These directions are from Google Maps starting from:
Silver City, NM
Total Est. Time: 1h 07 mins
Total Est. Distance: 67.9 mi
- Head north on N Cooper St toward W Broadway St
- Turn right onto W Broadway St
- Turn left onto N Hudson St
- Slight right onto US-180 E/Silver Heights Blvd
- Turn left onto E Cedar St
- Take the ramp onto I-10 E
- Take exit 135 for US-70 E toward W Picacho Ave
- Continue onto US-70 E
- Turn right onto N Armijo St
- Destination will be on the right
We are located at:
837 North Armijo Street
Las Cruces, NM 88005