Personal Injury Attorney Hobbs
The city of Hobbs in New Mexico’s Lea County was named after James Hobbs, the first postmaster in the area. Hobbs is a newer city when compared to many other areas throughout New Mexico, having only been founded in 1907. Situated in the south-west corner of the state, Hobbs is only 10 minutes away from the Texas border. It is over 230 miles from El Paso and 115 miles from Roswell, New Mexico.
Currently just under 35,000 residents call this area home. Much like many other areas of New Mexico, Hobbs is a younger city with the median age being 32 years of age. 28% of the population are adults between the ages of 25 to 44, and nearly 40% of the households within the area have children under the age of 18.
Children and Dog Attacks in New Mexico
Dangerous dogs who are within an owners control are frightening enough. But as many of the animal rescue groups working throughout the state will attest to, dog overpopulation is at crisis levels in New Mexico. Many dogs are freely roaming the streets, patrolling alleyways and breaking into yards where children are playing.
At the Ruhmann Law Firm we understand that children rather than adults are at a greater risk of being targeted by a vicious dog. Let’s take a look at the statistics:
- Nearly 4.5 million dog bites occur each year in the United States
- In 2001, 42% of dog bites were inflicted upon children 14 years of age and younger
- Between 1982 and 2014, 81% of dog attacks caused by molosser breeds (this includes dogo argentinos, presa canarios and pit bulls) in the United States and Canada were inflicted upon children
How You Can Prevent Dog Bites
Children and adults alike can be bitten, maimed or even killed by an unfriendly dog. Should you or your children encounter a vicious dog, you can:
- Stay motionless (advise children to be still “like a tree”) and do not panic. If you have a purse, a bag, a jacket or a back pack, put it slowly between you and the dog to create a buffer
- Say “No” or “Go home” in a deep, firm voice while avoiding eye contact
- If the dog knocks you down, curl into a tight ball with your head tucked in and your hands over your ears and neck
- Call out for help
Dog bites can do more than hurt – they can be tragic. Our attorneys at the Ruhmann Law Firm have handled numerous dog bite and attack cases over the past several years and have secured the compensation necessary for victims to heal both physically and emotionally.
If you or a loved one has been attacked by a dog, call us today to arrange for a free consultation to discuss your case at (915) 845-4529.
Directions to our New Mexico Personal Injury Attorneys from Hobbs
These directions are from Google Maps starting from:
Total Est. Time: 4 h 27 mins
Total Est. Distance: 254 mi
- Head south on N Turner St toward W Taylor St
- Turn right onto US-180 W/US-62 W/W Marland Blvd
- Turn right onto NM-529
- Turn left onto US-82 W
- Continue onto Charlie Lee Memorial Relief Route
- Take the US-70 W ramp to Las Cruces
- Continue onto US-70 W/S White Sands Blvd
- Keep left to stay on US-70 W
- Turn right onto W Picacho Ave
- Turn left onto N Armijo St
- Destination will be on the right
We are located at:
837 North Armijo Street
Las Cruces, NM 88005