Trusted Jackknife Accident Attorneys in El Paso And Las Cruces
We Handle Jackknife Accidents in El Paso and Las Cruces
At The Ruhmann Law Firm, our truck accident lawyer in El Paso and Las Cruces has the skills and experience to take on all types of jackknife accident claims. We are committed to holding the big trucking companies and their commercial insurance carriers accountable. If you were hurt in a jackknife collision, it is imperative that you have a reliable attorney on your side. With experience navigating both Texas law and New Mexico law, we are ready to protect your rights. Contact us today to set up your free, no-obligation consultation with a top-rated jackknife accident attorney.
More than 2,500 Jackknife Crashes are Reported Each Year
As they often occur on highways and at relatively high rates of speed, jackknife accidents can cause catastrophic injuries. Unfortunately, these collisions happen far too often. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reports that more than 2,500 jackknifed commercial vehicles cause accidents nationwide each. A jackknife accident occurs when a vehicle towing a trailer, such as a large truck, skids, causing the trailer to push it from behind until it spins around and resembles a pocket knife’s shape.
Why Do Trucks Jackknife?
As noted previously, jackknifing refers to a scenario where the trailer of a truck pushes the cab into an acute angle. While the visual can be dramatic and even terrifying, understanding the reasons behind it can help prevent such incidents. Here are some common causes of jackknife truck accidents:
- Sudden Braking: A sudden application of brakes can cause the rear wheels of the truck to lock. When this happens, the trailer may continue its forward momentum, swinging out.
- Equipment Malfunction: If a truck’s brake system is not maintained or malfunctions, it can result in uneven braking. This uneven force can cause the truck to skid out of control.
- Improper Loading: A trailer that’s not loaded correctly or unevenly can cause an imbalance, increasing the risk of jackknifing, especially during maneuvers or braking.
- High Speeds: Traveling at excessive speeds can make it difficult for drivers to react in time to sudden changes, making the vehicle more prone to jackknifing in unexpected situations.
- Slippery Roads: Wet, icy, or oily road conditions can reduce the traction between the tires and the road. In such circumstances, truckers must adjust for the road conditions.
A Negligent Trucking Company Can Be Held Liable for a Jackknife Accident
Truck accident claims are handled under state law. Both Texas and New Mexico are fault-based motor vehicle accident jurisdictions. If a trucking company is negligent in its operations, maintenance, or training, it can be held liable for jackknife accidents. Victims have the right to seek compensation for damages, emphasizing the company’s responsibility to ensure safety on the roads.
We Help Truck Accident Victims in Texas and New Mexico Recover Compensation
Following a jackknife truck accident in El Paso, Las Cruces, or anywhere else in the surrounding region, injured victims need financial compensation. Both Texas law and New Mexico law allow injured victims to seek compensation for both economic losses and non-economic damages. At The Ruhmann Law Firm, we fight to help our clients secure the maximum settlement or trial verdict. You may be entitled to recover financial compensation for:
- Property damage (vehicle repairs/replacement):
- Ambulance costs or emergency room care;
- Hospital bills and other medical costs;
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity;
- Pain and suffering and mental distress;
- Disability or disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death damages.
How Truck Accident Attorney Charles Julius Ruhmann IV Can Help
Navigating the aftermath of a tractor-trailer accident is challenging—especially if it is a jackknife crash. You do not have to take on the trucking companies or their insurers alone. Founded by attorney Charles Julius Ruhmann IV, we have a simple philosophy: Provide injured victims with a voice for true justice. Whether you were hurt in a jackknife crash in El Paso, Las Cruces, or anywhere in the surrounding region, we are here to help. Among other things, our jackknife crash lawyer will:
- Hear what you have to say, answer questions, and explain your legal options;
- Investigate your jackknife accident—securing evidence to prove fault and damages; and
- Develop a comprehensive legal strategy focused on maximizing your financial support.
Truck Accidents Resources:
Contact Our El Paso and Las Cruces Jackknife Accident Attorney Today
At The Ruhmann Law Firm, we proudly fight to protect the rights of interests of victims and their families. Hurt in a tractor-trailer crash caused by a jackknifed truck? We can help. Contact us right away to set up a free, no-obligation consultation. We represent jackknife truck accident victims in El Paso, Las Cruces, and throughout the surrounding communities in Texas and New Mexico.