Motorcycle accidents can be particularly dangerous and often result in severe injuries. Understanding why motorcycle accidents are so dangerous is quite helpful, especially if you use them regularly. Our experts at Ruhmann Law Firm explore the unique factors contributing to the severity of motorcycle accidents and enlighten you on the common causes of these crashes. Read on to find out!
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Before getting to why they are so dangerous, it is crucial to remind ourselves of what causes motorcycle accidents. Here are the five most common causes.
- Left-turning vehicles: One of the most prevalent causes of motorcycle accidents is collisions with left-turning vehicles. Often occurring at intersections, these accidents result from a driver failing to yield the right of way to an oncoming motorcycle.
- Lane splitting: While legal in some areas, lane splitting (riding a motorcycle between lanes of slow-moving or stopped traffic) can be a risky maneuver. When both motorcyclists and car drivers misjudge their moves, it can lead to sideswipe accidents.
- Speeding and reckless riding: Excessive speed and reckless riding significantly contribute to motorcycle accidents. The agility and acceleration capabilities of motorcycles can tempt riders to push the limits, increasing the likelihood of losing control.
- Impaired riding: Impaired riders may struggle with balance and coordination. This makes them more prone to accidents. Combating impaired riding involves individual responsibility and increased public awareness.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving poses a significant risk to all road users. It can be particularly perilous for motorcyclists. The minimal protection afforded by motorcycles makes them even more susceptible to the consequences of distracted driving behaviors.
So, Why are Motorcycle Accidents So Dangerous?
There are several reasons why motorcycle accidents are often so dangerous. They include the following;
Lack of Protection
One of the primary factors that make motorcycle accidents so dangerous is the inherent lack of protection for riders. Unlike occupants of cars or trucks who are surrounded by a metal shell, motorcyclists have minimal physical protection. In the event of a collision, the human body is directly exposed to the impact, making riders more susceptible to serious injuries.
Vulnerability to Road Hazards
Motorcycles are more exposed to road hazards than larger vehicles. Uneven road surfaces, potholes, and debris pose greater risks to motorcycles. A seemingly minor road imperfection that might be inconsequential for a car can be a significant danger for a motorcyclist. They often lead to loss of control and accidents.
Size and Visibility
Motorcycles are generally small in size and less visible compared to other vehicles. This reduced visibility increases the likelihood of accidents as drivers of larger vehicles may have difficulty spotting motorcycles in their blind spots. The fact that there is no awareness among other motorists makes it quite dangerous for motorcycle riders.
High Speeds and Maneuverability
The agility and maneuverability that make motorcycles exciting to ride can also contribute to their danger. Motorcycles can hit high speeds quickly and can meander in and out of traffic. However, these very features can lead to accidents when other drivers fail to anticipate the movements of motorcyclists.
The country’s diverse climate can present additional challenges for motorcyclists. Adverse weather conditions can significantly increase the risk of collisions. Besides, reduced visibility and slippery roads pose substantial dangers for riders. This necessitates a heightened level of caution in varying weather conditions.
Inexperienced or Negligent Drivers
Motorcycle accidents often occur due to the negligence or inexperience of other drivers on the road. Drivers who disregard traffic rules or engage in distracted driving put motorcyclists at significant risk. Seeking legal recourse is crucial for victims to hold negligent parties accountable.
Limited Safety Gear
While responsible motorcyclists prioritize safety gear, it is still limited compared to the protective features of a car. Helmets, jackets, and gloves can only do so much to mitigate the impact of a collision. In severe accidents, the effectiveness of safety gear may be compromised and lead to more severe injuries.
Let Us Help You Get Justice
At Ruhmann Law Firm, we recognize the unique challenges faced by victims of motorcycle accidents. Our experienced legal team is dedicated to helping individuals handle the complex nature of personal injury claims. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident, get in touch with us right away. Together, we can work towards securing the compensation you need for recovery. We will also work to hold those responsible accountable for their actions. Stay safe on the roads, and remember, we have a team ready to advocate for your rights.