Car Crash with Train Leaves 10 Dead and Others Injured in Texas
Collisions involving trains can be unspeakably tragic, causing catastrophic damage and death. A recent car crash in Texas left a total of 10 people dead and numerous others injured, many of who are still in critical condition. The road was apparently icy at the time, which should remind all drivers that they must exercise caution when driving conditions are poor.
At roughly 7:30 a.m., a bus was transporting several inmates when the driver lost control of the vehicle on a patch of icy road. The bus then veered off of an interstate overpass where it fell onto tracks on which a freight train was traveling. Before the bus could be moved or any of the passengers could be evacuated, the freight train struck the immobile bus.
The bus was no match for the train and was struck so hard that part of it was left crumpled. Eight of the inmates, ranging in age from 25 to 44, were killed, while two of the attending correctional officers also suffered fatal injuries. Those who survived their injuries had to be transported to various hospitals for treatment.
A car crash such as this one in Texas rarely comes with purely financial damages. Although medical bills and funeral expenses are all very real costs with which victims and their families must deal, the injured must often endure the emotional and physical wounds that continue for years to come, while families must somehow learn how to live without their loved ones. After car accidents that happened on icy roads, victims may feel as they have no legal recourse; however, if a driver was traveling too fast for road conditions or acting recklessly in another manner, victims and their families may still have the ability to pursue compensation for their losses.
Source: Los Angeles Times, “Prison bus, freight train collide in Texas, killing at least 10“, Michael Muskal, Jan. 14, 2015.
- Passenger Dies in a Fatal Car Crash
- Texas car accident causes injury to 4 people in Waco
- Unyielding Car Kills Man in El Paso Motorcycle Accident
- Driver barrels over seawall, causes car crash that kills 1
- Motorcyclist killed in car wreck, no charges filed yet
- Fatal car accident in Texas leaves 1 dead, injures others
- Texas car accident leaves teenager dead
- Car wreck caused by U-turning vehicle sends 1 to hospital
- Car accident in El Paso kills driver and injures 2 passengers
- Can a driver on their cell phone be responsible for my car wreck?